The Star Herald
The new children’s water play area was opened on Friday, September 21, at Jason Niles Park in Kosciusko with a ribbon cutting.
The splash pad, a designated area with water springing upward from portals in the concrete area, cost approximately $150,000. Monies came from a bond issue for city park improvements.
Mayor Jimmy Cockroft said for the remainder of the warm weather, the pad would be open to the public free of charge.
He said the area was designated for children ages 12 and under.
Picnic tables and benches have will be placed in the open-air pavilion that features restrooms and ceiling fans.
Cockroft thanked the aldermen, city department heads and designers from Couvillion Design and Build for making the project a reality.
Until cooler temperatures hit the area, the splash pad will be open Monday-Friday from 3-6 p.m., Saturday from 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. and on Sunday from 1-5 p.m.
A minimal admission fee will be charged next year.
Splash Pad Rules
– Responsibility – There is an inherent risk in participating in the Splash Pad environment. We expect participants to exercise good judgment and act in a responsible manner. Guests must also obey all oral and written warnings given from park employees. Guests who do not comply with rules may be ejected from the Splash Pad area without refund.
– Behavior – Profanity and unruly behavior are offensive to park guests and may be cause for ejection without refund. Language – guests using profanity or abusive language, symbols or gestures may be ejected from the Splash Pad area without refund.
– Dress Code – City of Kosciusko strictly enforces a dress code! Proper swim wear is required. Clothing with rude, vulgar or offensive language and graphics is not permitted. Admission may be denied if clothing is deemed by management to be inappropriate.
– Splash Pad area is intended for children 12 years of age and under. Parents are welcome. Children must have adult supervision at all times. We ask that everyone be responsible for cleaning up anything left by the child they are supervising. Older children must be aware of smaller children in the Splash Pad area.
– CAUTION – Concrete Surface – aqua shoes are recommended
– No running or rough play. Individuals engaging in unsafe disruptive behavior will be asked to leave the Splash Pad area and may be banned for an additional period of time.
– Prohibited Items – glass bottles, fireworks/explosives, firearms/weapons, bicycles, skateboards/roller skates, alcoholic beverages and tobacco.
– Do not carry mud or dirt onto Splash Pad area.
– DO NOT CLIMB ON FENCE – offenders will be asked to leave the park
– Infants and Toddlers must wear disposable swim pants.
– Pets – pets are NOT allowed in Splash Pad area
– Personal Belongings – The City of Kosciusko is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
– Splash Pad hours are 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday and 1 until 4 p.m. on Sunday. Splash Pad will be closed on Mondays.
– Pad will be open Memorial Day until Labor Day – WEATHER PERMITTING.
– Splash Pad area cannot be reserved during normal hours. It can be reserved after hours by calling City Hall at 289-1226.
– Vacate area during thunderstorms
– In case of Emergency call 911
– Please call the Parks and Recreation office (289-7932) or City Hall (289-1226) if there are any questions regarding rules and regulations listed above. If necessary, call the Kosciusko Police Department (289-3131) if there are any problems after hours or on the weekends.